Employment OpportunitiesFrom June 1st through September each year, Siwash welcomes a select number of clients from all over the world and we entrust our top-notch team to deliver a unique, up-scale vacation to these special guests. The Siwash product features spectacular, nature-based adventure with the main wilderness activities being horseback riding; fishing; hiking; mountain biking; wilderness survival, shooting, and boating. The maximum capacity of the ranch is 16-26 guests, with 12-16 staff members and the ranch family of four, so the staff to guest ratio enables a very personal, first-class vacation experience.
Staff Profile"Hello, my name is Nikki. I am from Vancouver Island, BC. I was a member of the Siwash Team in the summer of 2010, in the role of Guest Attendant...
When new guests arrived at the ranch, it was my pleasure to show them around the lodge and get them acquainted with the nice pace of country life.
Each day, I set the dining room tables with a miniature bouquet of wildflowers from the meadow, I delivered warm muffins and coffee to each guest room and I swept the front porch, which was always adorned with one of our happy sleeping dogs.
Hanging freshly washed linens on the clothesline, composting organics and building a fire for the evening, was all part of my work.
As I left the ranch in the fall, bound for the city with well worn gumboots and a greenthumb, I was a little more of a country girl—and the Siwash Team had changed to the Siwash Family. What an amazing experience and environment in which to grow, for staff and guests alike."
From any window in the lodge it is a memory postcard, whether it be the lake or the riders setting out on the trails. All these marvels, even the sky at night and the silence of dusk is something that can't be described. I knew each of the 26 horses by name and recognized their individual whinny or knicker from outside my tent door.
Siwash Junior Staff Quarters
A personal 10'x12' heated
and furnished wall tent
A Team worth JoiningWe’ll help you to grow as a person and learn valuable lifelong lessons while working at Siwash Lake, but there are many other benefits of working at the ranch:
- We offer fair remuneration in accordance with industry standards. Remuneration packages increase in line with the level of growth and performance.
- We tailor contract descriptions to fit the personalities and abilities of each individual.
- We recognize the efforts and successes of our top performing, returning staff with incentives.
- You can horseback ride and enjoy all our other wonderful wilderness activities during your leisure time at the ranch. You’ll experience a healthy and active lifestyle.
- We offer discounted trips for your families and friends.
- We provide you with training and the opportunities to learn new skills, to multi-task and to advance.
- We offer a variety of contracts with varying work schedules.
- We provide onsite accommodation and meals.
- Wireless Internet service is available in the staff lounge for you to check email with your own laptop computer.
- There are substantial cost-of-living advantages. There are no constant expenses such as utilities and there is no outside entertainment or shops to spend your money on. In most cases, you’ll save what you earn.
- There are plenty of opportunities to make valuable contacts – to make friends and meet guests from around the world and you will be surrounded by quality people.
- It’s our goal to hire you for the long term, and we’ll do our best to invite you back for ensuing seasons
The ranch has gained a reputation for hiring some of the finest staff anywhere; we are committed to attracting world-class talent. People who have worked at Siwash Lake Ranch say they have never worked harder, but feel the rewards are well worth it. We and our staff thrive on wilderness living and are passionate about delivering a first-class experience for our guests.
Our Hiring Criteria
We are looking for self-motivated, goal oriented individuals to join our team and experience the best that BC has to offer. With the nature of our business, we require people who can take initiative, are flexible and can multi-task.
We carefully examine references and choose only those who demonstrate integrity, a willingness to learn, and an ability to work well with others. Our staff members are self-reliant, independent and capable. Successful candidates have a positive attitude and are ready for a challenge.
Please consider carefully before applying. You will be required to re-locate to a unique setting at the ranch where staff work, live and socialize together in a remote communal environment. It takes a certain type of individual and strength of character to be happy here. This is seasonal work and by nature it can be very intense. It’s definitely not for everyone.
However, if you can commit and contribute to the lifestyle, foster the success of the business, and have a clear goal, purpose and motivation for working at our ranch, then you may have what we are looking for. Successful candidates have an affinity for working with a discerning, sophisticated clientele, and are comfortable with children and animals. They have a desire to embrace the concept of sustainability in a wilderness setting.
If you would like to be a part of this team, we invite you to submit an application. Some of the jobs are offered on a contract basis, owing to the seasonal nature of the business. You must be available for a full three or four-month time frame and certain positions go longer.
Those applicants whom cover more than one of the positions below will be our preferred candidates.
Job Positions at the Ranch
- Ranch Chef
- Cook for Staff & Guest Breakfasts
- Guides—for interpreting the local flora, fauna, and history while guiding one or more of the following activities: riding, fishing, hiking, shooting, archery, or wilderness survival.
- Gardener & Grounds Keeper—all aspects of gardening, plus general maintenance, trail clearing and grooming of the grounds
- Maintenance Carpenter (for facilities and grounds maintenance and ranch construction projects)
- Food & Beverage Servers/Hosts (fine dining environment and greeting guests)
- Yoga Instructor (ideally combined with at least one of the other categories)
- Spa/Wellness Attendant (for performing massage & at least one other of the categories above)
- "Floater" - this position covers as many of the above as possible for when employees have their days off. Necessary talents and previous experience could include horsemanship, food & beverage service, housekeeping, any guiding as above, and cooking.
Interested applicants please send a cover letter and resume, with current employment references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Owing to the number of applications that we receive, please be advised that we will only acknowledge those that we deem promising for this season's openings. Others we may not acknowledge, but will keep on file for the future, or in case we need someone in a hurry mid-season. If you don't hear back from us this year, please feel free to re-apply next year.
Who Can ApplyWe welcome job inquiries from all whom have an interest in the adventure tourism realm, including:
- Young people starting out in the work force with pertinent life experience
- High school and college/university students with pertinent life or previous work experience
- Co-op programs
- Individuals looking for employment after an extended break
- Trades people looking to diversify
- Professionals looking for a career change
- Retired individuals looking to pursue a lifelong interest
- NO FOREIGN WORKERS AT THIS TIME